Kinds of hosting services
A hosting service suggests depositing and/or sharing specific content on a hosting server hosted by a hosting vendor. There are different groups of hosting services used for various ends, so let's take a glimpse at these. In that way, you can choose what you need, depending on whether you wish to establish a web site, mailbox accounts, or to share files with mates and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by given providers, which enables you to share immense files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only purpose is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-charge file storage plans are frequently supported by exhibiting adverts beside the download links, while a timer forces you to await a specific period of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you own a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the help of the cPanel hosting firms, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a totally unsuitable interpretation of the real denotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would assign the tasks at hand between autonomous packs of web servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving different web space hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, web site hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is simply a brand of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; given suppliers provide a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting variant is appropriate if you wish to share a great quantity of images with mates or colleagues since the solution is typically free. You will receive a random link for every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be used for web pages.
- Email hosting: a solution dedicated to taking care of your e-mail address accounts. Some companies provide web site hosting solutions for web pages, but do not supply an email service. If you desire to have an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to keep a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can set up e-mail box accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to a particular video file, or you can embed the video clip in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of using this method instead of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video file generates a particular amount of CPU load, so with a couple of videos and a few hundred site viewers, you may have a hard time with your webspace hosting reserves. Embedding the video clip will allow you to utilize as many video files as you would like without hassling about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you require if you would like to possess a website. To a certain extent, it embodies all of the aforesaid hosting brands since, along with your web sites, you can also host pics and files, you can set up databases and e-mail addresses, upload video files, and so on. At Free Hostia, for instance, you can have a glance at web hosting and dedicated hosting services that permit you to get all of the aforementioned services in one location. There may be limits depending on the form of hosting solution that you've settled on - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your webspace hosting account may be better or worse juxtaposed to the common e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are tailored for particular web content solely.